Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Saga

So yesterday I found myself fully indulged in this competitive spirit I had been trying to smother for years. My family loves sports and I have always enjoyed team spirit. My freshmen year of college I got excited that my team, the Baltimore Ravens, were starting to do better. It was also my first experience at a Super Bowl party since my college hosts one. Unfortunately, that year that Pittsburgh Steelers prevented the Ravens from getting into the Super Bowl. Since then, I have this vendetta against them.
Last season, it was pretty harmless, but this season, the Steelers and Ravens were always neck and neck. Once again, the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl. I was thrilled to see them lose, but today I am so frustrated on how I let it get to me. I mean, everything I cannot stand about the Steelers could be said about the Ravens in all reality. I think what it comes down to, it when I am at home, I get support from my Ravens loving family. When I am here at school where no one likes the Ravens and most love the Steelers, I really miss being home. All I hear is the Steelers being praised, and the Ravens being put down.
Who really knows who deserves what critique. In the light of eternity, it doesn't matter. I cannot remember who played in last year's Super Bowl or who the Steelers beat the year before. I won't care about any of these games in the days to come. I will still have my family to go home to, I am still having a wonderful semester of classes in this Steeler loving state, and most importantly, I am still a child of God. It really does not get much better than that.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad Green Bay won, I will still cheer for my Ravens, and I will root against the Steelers (I am all for sticking to your roots), but I need to stop letting it CONTROL me. I would do much better to stop saying I and focus on what God has for me. Right now that would be getting some homework completed that is due this week for classes, so I better get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment