Thursday, February 7, 2013

Destinies are Troublesome Things Indeed

This morning during my quiet time with the Lord, I read this quote that has been sticking with me:

"Sow an act, and you reap a habit. Sow a habit, and you reap a character. Sow a character, and you reap a destiny." ~Anonymous

What a thought! This quote basically is saying that one choice you make today can determine the course of your life. This may sound harsh or perhaps dramatic, but I truly believe there is some great truth in this statement. For example, if I choose to trust myself today, then next time I might do the same. Before I know it, I am trusting myself and God falls to the wayside. This is no way to live my life, but I know far too often I can fall into the snare of these temptations.
    On the way to school I was listening to the radio. The particular discussion centered around how exciting it can be to look at yourself 10 years ago. The radio host said that even on your crappiest day if you look back on where you were 10 years ago, you will feel happier when you see how far you have come. "Give yourself a pat on the back," he said.
     I disagree. Sure, my life has changed a lot over the past 10 years. I would even say my life has indeed changed for the better, and furthermore, it is encouraging on a crappy day. The problem I heard in the conversation was no mention of God. Nothing in my life that is worth having is here because of my own merit. Everything "I" have accomplished, all of "my" relationships, and every blessing "I" own in life has nothing to do with me. These are all the rich blessings from my ever merciful and gracious God.
      This past week I have been going through one of life's tougher type of experiences. Truly it isn't anything too tragic, but it is a trial none-the-less. It has been a week when I am reminded how much I am in need of a Savior. As a human, I am so fallible, but God in His mercy still continues to meet my needs no matter what mistakes I make. My prayer would be to act in a way that trusts the Lord which would lead to a habit of prayer which would lead to a godly character and finally a destiny of one who constantly lives out the Lord's will.
    These trials prove that life is never easy, but He is still so good.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I love the title of this ;)
    Secondly, Meghan you are a brilliant writer! This is so powerful, my prayer for both of us would be that we would turn to God each step of the way as we move towards our unfolding destinies. Because our destiny is in God's hand whether we turn to Him or not, but I know our greatest destiny will unfold when we seek Him wholeheartedly. Don't worry about your trial, feel free to be weak in your trial, because God has already been strong for you. The battle is already over my friend. :) This is just the beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete