Friday, September 14, 2012

Lessons Learned...err Learning

I cannot tell you the amount of times I have heard people say that nothing in their studies truly prepared them for how life actually is in their real life profession. I think I now have a better idea of what they mean. My years at ABC have provided me with excellent tools to use in my new adventure as a PreK teacher, but I know I still have much to learn outside of the classroom.
This first week I have learned......
1. Know your dismissal procedure before the first day of school dismissal ;-)
2. Time really does fly when you're having fun
3. Chocolate cupcakes and glitter are really messy
4. With younger students you should probably teach them how to cut and paste before you have them do an activity which requires cutting and pasting
5. Preschoolers need an activity to go along with the power point presentation you thought was awesome

As I said still much to learn, but it has been a great growing experience. I really just needed this week to begin working out the kinks, and I believe each week will run a little smoother. Flexibility is key, and that was a lesson I learned at ABC. PreK is certainly different from 5th grade, but I think I am just enjoying the experience of being THE teacher and learning how to go with the flow. The great thing about preschool is the flexibility it allows to go with what the children respond to and need rather than glued to a specific curriculum. So here's to week 2 and the rest of the year. Most of all, here's to living and learning and doing better.

"Good, better, best, never let it rest, until your good is better, and your better is best."

No comments:

Post a Comment