Thursday, May 22, 2014

Another Bend in the Road

Life happens. Some days you wake up thinking it will be a normal day, and at times that is exactly what the day is. Then there are the days when it feels as if your life will never be the same again. These feelings keep life exciting and perhaps a bit scary. You truly never know what will happen next.
   I am a self proclaimed dreamer. I am easily distracted and will easily settle into my day dreams if left to sit and think for too long. I have always had plans for my life, but alas - "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts higher than your thoughts (Isaiah 55:9)." How true this is because I could not begin to dream up some of the turns my life has taken.
      As I contemplated writing this post, I began to think of how I could explain the latest decision in my life. Looking back on the journey it took to get where I now am, I am in awe of the Savior's design for my life. He is so much better at this whole planning thing than I am!
     About 12 years ago my world turned upside down when I was forced to change schools. For an introvert such as myself and highly adapted into my comfort zone, it felt like the world had ended. To make a long story short, I ended up at Veritas Academy where I made several dear and life long friends, expanded my world view and discovered that the Baptists aren't the only ones going to heaven,  traveled to many amazing places, and received a terrific education where I even became semi-okay with the whole public speaking thing. It was a transformation in my life for sure.
      Of course, that time came to an end and I headed off to college. I suppose I began that part of the journey thinking I would get an education degree to fall back on in hopes that I would become a wife and mother quickly. This did not happen, and for now I am thankful about that. You see, I LOVED studying to become a teacher. The more I observed and came up with lesson plans, the more I desired to have experience in a classroom of my very own. This desire was confirmed during an amazing student teaching experience. My host mother during this time constantly said something that has stuck with me to this day, "God never wastes an experience." Some days I may be confused and unable to understand why things happen or don't happen, but God does. He can use it for His honor and glory if I give these struggles to Him, and let Him work.
      So onto adult life I went with an elementary education degree in hand. My fondest dream was to return to Veritas - the school that had changed my life - and give back in ministry as a teacher. It almost happened that first year too, but God shut that door. The news came at first as a crushing blow. I was upset and maybe even felt a little betrayed, but I had to remember that Veritas was not the only school in the world. In hindsight, I probably would not have enjoyed the position as much as what I ended up doing. I am sure I would have enjoyed it well enough, but it goes to show that God knows better than I do.
       That summer I began frantically searching for another job to stay afloat. My mom happened to see that a little nursery school in southern PA was looking for teachers with elementary education degrees. I went for it. Lo and behold they hired me, and I have spent the last two years as a pre-kindergarten teacher. Turns out that I love this age group. Based on my experience spent with other ages, I know I enjoy them all, but my heart beats for the early education crew.
      My two years at JLNS have been amazing! I enjoyed each and every minute there. However, I faced a new challenge. I also have been working at an after school program to maintain full time hours, but the program that employs me is being closed down. I knew I would have to find something else. God, of course, was miles ahead of me. You see, Veritas was in the planning stages of opening a preschool. After some discussions, interviews and a lot of other details, the Lord opened the door for me to be a preschool teacher at Veritas.
       It was a difficult decision for me because I love where I work now, and I am going to miss my fellow staff and the children. However, I am super excited to return to my alma mater and teach. Not only do I get to teach there, I get to teach the age group I have fallen in love with. I am also excited to be on staff with my mother who has been a part of my inspiration in pursuing this dream. I should mention though, that the preschool is being hosted in a local church for rooming purposes. I will still be a part of the community, and that is thrilling.
    It is a bittersweet time now as I am beginning the transition. My old classroom has been packed away, and the boxes sit in the basement waiting to be moved to my new classroom. Lots of good memories, and an exciting adventure ahead. No matter what the adventure holds, I can truly see that God does not waste an experience. When I asked to teach at Veritas, He said, "Wait." He sent me to a preschool and fulfilled a desire of my heart. Now He is saying, "Yes." The future looks bright indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful news! See? God didn't waste a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, He did not! Thank you again for all that you did for me. I can never express enough how much your hospitality and encouragement during that time in life meant to me!

      Delete