Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Dream Come True

  As this year draws to an end, I can't help but reflect on what God has done in my life. A main highlight would be my college graduation. It was only through His grace and mercy that I was able to complete four years of education. The road was not always easy, but His grace is all sufficient. I am thankful for my time at Appalachian Bible College, but what a blessing to be done!
   Growing up I have always enjoyed being around children. I was that child who always asked to hold babies, and I love entertaining the younger ones in whatever circles I hung out in. Baby sitting was my favorite job in secondary school. I looked forward to the time when I could serve in the church nursery, and I always tried to visit my mom's kindergarten class when I could. I knew for a long time I wanted to work with children when I grew up. Even when I went through my horse crazy stage my dream was to work at a horse camp or give horse back riding lessons. Eventually I felt the call to be a teacher, and my years at college confirmed my passion and calling for this ministry.
   The odd thing about college was how isolated I felt from my calling. I had observations to go to, but that just meant I sat and watched the children. We had a little interaction, but it was in and out. I did have opportunity to serve at my church in various children's ministries for which I am grateful. My 2 years in Cubbies are part of the confirmation in my heart that teaching is what God called me to do. I had a few other opportunities to serve, but with all the back and forth between home and college never really let me get settled in one place. I always felt like something was missing, but I could never put my finger on it.
     Now that I am home, I think I figured out what that was. I was just looking for consistency and chance to put my calling to use. These days I teach pre-kindergarten, help in an elementary after school program,  teach a toddler Sunday School class, serve in the baby nursery and help with children's ministries at church. This has been consistent since graduation and has been over the course of what would have been a semester at college.
     Some days I must admit is can be a little overwhelming. On Wednesdays I go form preschool to after school to church, and kids can be exhausting as parents would know much better than me. However all the variety provides a great blessing in some many ways. I am thankful for all of these opportunities the Lord has blessed me with even when it is difficult. My dream has always been to work with children and now I get to experience it every day.
    Thank you Lord for an amazing year and the chance to serve in the fields I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment